Alternative text, or “alt text” is a tool on Instagram that uses object recognition technology to provide a visual description of photos for people with visual impairments. But did you know that using alt text also increases your SEO? Traditionally, Instagram uses alt text to allow visually impaired users to hear or read what is on the screen, but it also informs search engines that you are posting content related to your product or brand. First, let’s break down how to add alt text to your Instagram photos:
• When you find a photo you want to post to Instagram, go through the steps you normally would in the photo editor.
• Once it’s time to edit the caption, scroll to the bottom and look for the button that says “Advanced Settings”
• After you push that button, scroll down to the bottom and look for the button under “Accessibility” that says “Write Alt Text”
• Here you can add the alternative text!
How to write Alt Text for SEO Optimization
When it comes to writing alt text, it’s important to be as specific and detail-oriented as possible. Think of the alt text as what you might type into Google images to find a picture.
Here are other 6 quick tips on how to write good Instagram alt text, from IconoSquare:
- Don’t copy paste your caption!
- Focus on what you want people to remember about your photo. Write down only what’s important.
- Explain the image as specifically as you can. If it’s an image of a puppy, say there’s a puppy. If there’s an image of two people smiling, write “Two people smiling”. No need to reinvent the wheel!
- Make sure to include a keyword, if possible. If you’re running a diamond jewellery account, include the word “diamond jewellery” where applicable. This will extend your chances to reach your target audience on Instagram.
- If there is important text present in your image (e.g. a quote), write it in your alt text.
- Don’t be afraid to share colors, if they’re important! It’s totally ok to say “water the color of turquoise” or “a black and white portrait”, if that’s what really makes your content different.
Like all SEO, continue to experiment with different keywords to see which photos gain the most traffic! For more tips and tricks on social media marketing, follow us on Instagram at @brightproductionsinc